The Medical Oncology Unit deals with the diagnosis and therapy of all types of solid neoplasms in the various phases of the disease. It has a Hospital ward, an Oncology day-hospital, specialist and integrated clinics, a group dedicated to clinical research and a specialist and integrated clinics, a group dedicated to clinical research and a Translational Oncology Laboratory located at the Advanced Research Centre in Biomedicine and Bioengineering (PRABB) of University Campus Bio-Medico of Rome.
The Unit is accredited as a Centre for the integration of Oncology and Palliative Care by the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO), as a reference centre of Osteoncology by the Italian Society of Osteoncology (ISO) and is part of the Rete Nazionale Tumori Rari.
It deals in particular with
- Determination and execution of diagnostic and therapeutic pathways for all types of solid tumours with particular reference to mammary, pulmonary, colorectal and prostate cancer, to hepato-carcinomas and to sarcomas
- Management of complications related to tumour pathology or the therapies provided
- Clinical research and management of patients enrolled in Phase II and III studies for the provision of experimental therapies and the necessary clinical monitoring
It is equipped with
- an oncology ward with 20 beds for the management of patients in complex clinical conditions for which medical-nursing assistance is required 24 hours a day. In the ward there are also hospitalisations for high-risk diagnostic and therapeutic procedures and long-term chemotherapy treatments that require 3 to 5 continuous days of therapy. Prof. Giuseppe Tonini is the head of the Oncology department and coordinates, together with prof. Bruno Vincenzi, the team of specialist oncologists composed of: dr. Vladimir Virzì, dr. Marianna Silletta, dr. Luciano Stumbo, dr. Grazia Armento e dr. Loretta D’Onofrio.
- an oncology day hospital with 2 rooms for infusion therapies
- integrated specialist clinics of
– Hepatoncology: for the diagnosis and treatment of primary liver tumours, managed by dr. Marianna Silletta in collaboration with the Units of Clinical medicine and hepatology and Imaging Diagnostics
– Sarcomas: for the diagnosis and treatment of sarcomas of the soft tissue, bone and GIST managed by prof. Bruno Vincenzi in collaboration with the Unit of Short term surgery
– Osteoncology: for the diagnosis and treatment of bone metastases from solid tumours managed by the Osteoncology Center
– Oncological Senology: for the diagnosis and treatment of mammary tumours managed by dr. Annalisa La Cesa and dr. Francesco Pantano in collaboration with the Unit of Senology