The Clinical Medicine and Hepatology Unit, part of Geriatric Care, in the internal medicine field, is equipped with a ward for ordinary hospitalisation, day-hospital and specialist clinics. In collaboration with the Units of Medical Oncology, Diagnostic imaging and General Surgery, it deals with the care of patients suffering from primary hepatic neoplasia (hepatocellular carcinoma and cholangiocarcinoma).
Within a clinic for clinical ultrasound and elastometry, managed by a staff internist who is expert in ultrasound diagnostics of the liver, elastographs are also performed for the non-invasive evaluation of liver fibrosis, liver ultrasounds with and without contrast, ultrasound-guided liver biopsies and other interventional procedures.
The main clinical activities are:
- Diagnosis, follow-up and treatment of acute and chronic viral hepatitis
- Diagnosis, follow-up and treatment of metabolic liver diseases (steatosis, steatohepatitis)
- Diagnosis, follow-up and treatment of alcoholic and autoimmune liver diseases and biliary diseases
- Diagnosis, follow-up of liver cirrhosis complications
- Treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma
- Ultrasound scans and elastometry (ARFI and Fibroscan®)