The Anatomical Pathology Unit offers histopathological and cytopathological exams, which include immunohistochemical, ultrastructural and molecular analyses. It also collaborates with the attending physician to evaluate prognostic factors and choose the best therapy.
The Anatomy and Pathological and Cytodiagnostic Unit of the Campus Bio-Medico University Hospital performs histological, cytological diagnostic examinations (including cytological examination of urine), intraoperative examinations, diagnostic findings including very thin biopsy (thyroid, lung, pancreatic cyst), diagnostic examinations in electron microscopy, molecular diagnostic tests, cytology cervico-vaginal screening, autopsy exams, execution of fine needle aspirations of superficial organs, histo-pathological consulations.
Clinical-diagnostic activities are carried out by medical executives specialising in one or more areas of the disease, with particular interest in endocrine, renal and pancreatic diseases. For diagnostic support, the Service is equipped with:
- a histology and cytology laboratory
- a histochemical staining laboratory including histo-enzymatic evaluation for muscle diseases
- an immunohistochemistry laboratory that performs
- direct and indirect immunofluorescence tests
- typing of lymphoproliferative diseases
- characterization of neoplasms
- evaluation of immunohistochemical prognostic and predictive factors
- assessment of immune-checkpoints expression
- evaluation of the cell proliferation index (immunohistochemical method with Ki-67 Mib1 clone antibody)
- evaluation of the over-expression of the HER-2/neu proto-oncogene product
- identification of some viral antigens
- an electron microscopy laboratory (ultrastructural examinations)
- a biology and molecular diagnostics laboratory that allows
- F.I.S.H. analysis for amplification HER-2/neu, MDM2 and C-MET, gene rearrangement ALK and ROS1, BCL2/IGH, gene translocation C-MYC, BCL6, CCND1 and early diagnosis or therapeutic monitoring of bladder cancer; mutational analysis of the genes K-RAS, N-RAS, EGFR, BRAF, evaluation of microsatellites instability (MSI)
- Molecular panels for the study of the most common neoplasms (on a private basis)
- Prosigna test to assess the risk of relapse in women operated on with breast cancer (on a private basis)
The services are payable under the SSN system and privately (also to private institutions and clinics).
The acceptance of the material is made at the Admission Service of the Campus Bio-Medico University Hospital, from Monday to Friday, 7.30 am – 12.30 pm and 2.30 – 4 pm.
The Service is also able to activate external consultants, in particular cases, by national and international experts who carry out their activities in accredited healthcare facilities.
For the request of histo-cytopathological material prepared at the Campus Bio-Medico Hospital for a consultation at another institution, consult the dedicated instructions.