The Operative Digestive Endoscopy Unit deals with the diagnosis and treatment of bilio-pacreatic and digestive system diseases. In collaboration with the Units of General surgery, Gastroenterology, Medical Oncology and Radiation Oncology, it guarantees a multidisciplinary approach to bilio-pancreatic and gastrointestinal pathology. Procedures in deep sedation are performed with the support of anaesthesiology specialists, available in all endoscopic rooms.
The main topics of interest:
- Pancreatic cancer
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Cystic and pseudocysts of the pancreas
- Diseases of the biliary tree
- Neoplastic or pre-neoplastic lesions of the stomach and colon
- Bariatric Endoscopy
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease and endoscopic treatment
Diagnostic and therapeutic services are offered in outpatient, day-hospital and hospitalization, in agreement with the National Health Service and privately. They include:
- Diagnostic and therapeutic echoendoscopy (EUS) (study of pancreas and biliary tract, mediastinum, submucosal lesions and, rectal pathology)
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (CPRE) for diseases of the biliary tract and pancreas, such as gallstones, neoplasia of the biliary tract and pancreas,
- Diagnostic and operative colonoscopy (screening, colon polyps, colon neoplasms, inflammatory diseases). Mucosectomy (EMR), submucosal dissection (ESD) and full thickness resection technique (FTRD) are routinely practiced.
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty
The organization of health care ensures rapid performance and immediate delivery of the report. The Unit has the latest technology, uses strictly disposable materials and applies re-processing standards for the instruments, according to the most recent international guidelines. Patients are followed up at specialised clinics.