The Internal Medicine Unit guarantees first-level diagnosis and therapy for patients with acute or critical medical conditions.
The Unit specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of:
- Cardiovascular and celebratory vascular diseases (arterial hypertension, arrhythmias, ischemic heart disease, acute and chronic heart failure, atherosclerotic artery disease)
- Infectious diseases (sepsis, pneumonia, urinary tract infection, abscesses and tuberculosis)
- Respiratory diseases (chronic obstructive bronchitis, asthma, obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome)
- Metabolic and endocrinological diseases (diabetes, thyroid disease, hyperlipemia)
- Gastrointestinal diseases (acute and chronic hepatitis, liver cirrhosis, gastritis and peptic ulcer disease, inflammatory bowel diseases, etc.)
- Kidney diseases (acute and chronic renal failure, hypertensive or diabetic nephropathy, etc.)
- Osteoarticular diseases (rheumatoid arthritis, mixed connective tissue, etc.)
In collaboration with the Radiation Oncology, it is responsible for assisting patients who have metabolic, renal, cardiac or infectious complications, derived from radio-chemotherapy treatments.